Sunday, October 14, 2012

Autumn Beauty



m o o dy berry lips & lip stain review


This fall I wanted an updated version of my usual lightly stained lip.  So I pulled my "vintage" Urban Decay Lip Ink in Spank from the makeup drawer, and

gave it a go [above].  I haven't worn it for a while and it's a really intense color.  I bought this a WHILE ago, and I don't think it's made anymore.  It was before Cover Girl and other drugstore brands came out with their lipstains, so it was kinda special and unique at the time.  Anyway, it's topped with a deep amber shimmer for a little dimension. 

After writing this, I realize I really really like lip stains.   I generally get compliments on them whenever I wear them and I like how I can just put it on and not feel anything yet still have a wash of color.  Here's my take on the different ones I've tried. 

  • Cover Girl Outlast Lipstain This is my favorite.  I picked up a couple from Jack's World super discounted (if you've never been, it's 45th between 5th and 6th Ave in NYC and I highly recommend it!).  This definitely lasts for a while although I wouldn't say "all-day" like is sometimes claimed.  Depending how much you layer on, it starts as a vibrant color that seeps into your lips and gradually fades into a flush.  Very natural, obviously depending how much you put on and which color you choose.  I have 430 which is a pinky coral and I find it is just bright enough and great for summer time.  I don't find it drying at all but it always helps to keep your lips moisturized and body hydrated to avoid dry and chapped lips.
  • Revlon Just Bitten lipstain + balm Wompwomp.  So lame compared to the Cover Girl, unless mine is just a dud or something.  I got a berry color (Victorian) and there is so much less pigment compared to the Outlast.  It comes with a lip balm but it's unnecessary and isn't particularly moisturizing.  Sure, it feels nice when you put it on, but that fades quickly and you're still left with the dryish fading color from the stain. 
  • Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain A balm stain?  Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?  Basically after being bombarded with the fab Emma Stone ad where she looks completely gorgeous... here basically, what can I say, the girl is a great saleswoman.  So I have Lovesick which she wears in that ad, and it has a nice light mint scent, and has a sheen which fades after a while, into a "are you wearing lipstick or did you just suck a popsicle?" stain.  I like the lightweight feel and then the nothingness feel.  The color is buildable.  I want to get a deep red or deep berry next. 
If you're new to lip color, maybe a lipstain will go on too intense at first, but apply with a light hand and it's really the closest thing to natural.  Or just stick with a color that's just a shade away from your natural lip color.  I hope this helps
<3 Lexi



No comments:

Post a Comment